Monday, May 23, 2016

Caroline's Graduation

I would like to apologize for the quality of the pictures.  I did not realize they were not the best for blogging until  I added them just now.  I can't retake the photos, because the plaque now resides with Caroline.





My granddaughter Caroline graduated from high school this past Saturday and I made this plaque as a graduation gift.  Caroline has wanted to be a hairdresser ever since she was 4 years old.  She cut her own hair at 5 and proceeded to cut cousins, dolls and classmates hair.  We tried hiding all the scissors, but the little stinker was determined to cut and style hair.  We were not sure what we were going to do to stop the problem until our hairdresser, Debbie Thompson, blessed angel that she was, lol solved our problem.  She talked to Caroline "hairdresser to hairdresser".  She told her that only licensed hairdressers were allowed to cut hair.  She told her she had to go to school and get a license before she was allowed to cut hair.  Well, thank the Good Lord, Caroline listened and stopped cutting hair.

Caroline has now graduated from high school and will be attending Aveeda school in September.  She will finally achieve her goal to be a hairdresser and this proud Nana is looking forward to many free haircuts!

I made this plaque as a graduation gift for Caroline after seeing a similar project on my friend,  Cec's blog, CW Card Creations.  
Cec designed hers for a sewing room,  but I   saw it as a hairdresser motif.  Cec is so fabulously talented in the shabby chic/vintage style.  It is a style I have difficulty with, so I tried to follow her design as close as possible.

When I showed my friends at my LSS, Cec's design, they decided to help me gather the things I would need.  Irene, Carol and Joene brought me bits of lace, doilies and hairdresser charms even some paint.  I made several trips to Michaels and AC Moore for wood, paint and charms.  I wanted a larger pair of vintage scissors and couldn't find them.  The owner of my LSS, Scrapbooks By The Sea, Rayann had scissors on order from Ken Oliver Crafts, but they wouldn't be in in time.  She let me take a pair of hers off of one of her cards and use them.  Ever heard the expression, "It takes a village....."  Well this project certainly was a joint effort.

To make  this project, I used  a 2 wood plaques from Michaels, painted them both with Diana Wakeley Gesso, and then a painted a layer of Dreamweaver's crackle embossing paste on the sentiment layer.  I stenciled with Dreamweaver's Embossing paste.   I used TCW stencils.  All the embellishments were from my stash, or friends stash and were glued on with E6000 and then painted with Gesso. 

After the layer of Gesso, I sponged a layer of pink paint from Studio and then a layer of white paint watered down a bit to give the white washed look.  I sponged a bit of gold paint here and there over the whole plaque.  The sentiment is a Yvonne Blair sentiment stamp from Impression Obssession and stamped with Black Archival Ink. 


Happy Graduation Caroline and thank you to all of my crafty friends who contributed their stash to make this project possible.  Cec thanks for the inspiration!


Challenges I plan to enter:

http://stampsandstencils.blogspot.com/2016/05/think-pink.html

14 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous mixed media piece! Love it!
    Thank you for joining in our Think Pink challenge at Stamps and Stencils! Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just saw this on FB and went woo hoo Linda has done some fabulous mixed media so I better go and take a closer look. Well it knocked my socks off when I read that I had inspired you. You have done a super job and how lovely that your friends helped find things to customize this for your Granddaughter. Now that you have taken the plunge, I sure hope you will incorporate more mixed media into your creations - cards and other projects.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, this is BEYOND gorgeous!! I know sweet Caroline will treasure this beautiful expression of your love for her. You are both special ladies. MUAH! ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a great tribute to Cec's fabulous design! The elements and layout are just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. - Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I see that I have visited your blog in the past and am even more thrilled to return now that we have met in person. It was so much fun to chat with you and see your lovely card creations first hand. I hope to get back to SBTS soon! Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  5. Linda this project was FABULOUS! I've neglected my blog visits and I'm sorry my friend. You did an excellent job and I know your beautiful Caroline adored it. Love ya my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, it was nice to meet you this past week at your scrapbook store! Do you recognize the girl two comments up? I've already used one of my purchases! Love the wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well look at that. I didn't even realize it. LOL Hope your beach trip was fabulous and look forward to seeing great things from you Now I need to get busy posting some of my things. I so want to master this mixed media thing!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Linda, you are going to love working in the mixed media style. You are doing a great job with it on this wall hanging. Wondering how your granddaughter is doing with her schooling. I also want to thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving your very sweet comment! I hope you will stop in again! Hugs!

      Delete
  8. Linda, what a fabulous piece of art you created for your Granddaughter. Something she can cherish for many years. I loved the story about her cutting hair and how your own hairdresser cured her. Now she will finally get to do what she has always wanted, love that. She is a lovely girl, and I can tell from your writings that her Nan thinks the world of her. Happy HS Graduation and on to the future!!!

    Hugs
    Sue
    Thanks for your visit to my blog, and I didn't come up with coloring the horses those bright colors, the artist is know for just that. But I do love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love reading them and making new blogging friends from all over the world. Crafting friends are very special friends.

Happy Crafting, Linda